Virtual Felt Blog by Brad 'Geno' Gennaro

What is up, y'all? It's time for a little list action. I'm gonna' rattle off the top 10 best poker quotes of all time, in my opinion of course. I'm sure that I've missed a few, but damn, there are so many of them it's hard to remember. It was even more difficult to stop at only ten! I know I have my favorites listed, especially the couple from Stu Ungar. My brother Kenny dealt to Stu many times years back in Reno, Nevada. He told me that the guy was unbelievable. He stated that Ungar was clearly thinking on another level than the rest of the players, and that there was a mysterious presence when Ungar was at the table. I personally believe him. I think Stu Ungar was the best poker player that has ever lived, and there is no argument from anyone that he was the best gin player that ever lived. Unfortunately, cocaine ended up taking his life, for who knows how many bracelets and major poker tournaments that "the kid" could have won! If you do not know the story of Stu Ungar I have the link to his Wikipedia page posted at the end of this article. You really should take the time to read about this guy!

Anyway, as you will notice I tend to favor the quotes of the older, veteran poker players, instead of the brash, young players of today's online world!



Geno's Top 10 Poker Quotes of All Time


10. A king can do no wrong, unless it runs into an ace.
~Anonymous

9. Dear Lord, help me to break even. I need the money.
~Anonymous

8. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half an hour at the table, then you are the sucker.
~Mike McDermott in the movie "Rounders"

7. There are few things that are so unpardonably neglected in our country as poker. The upper class knows very little about it. Now and then you find ambassadors who have sort of a general knowledge of the game, but the ignorance of the people is fearful. Why, I have known clergymen, good men, kind-hearted, liberal, sincere, and all that, who did not know the meaning of a "flush." It is enough to make one ashamed of the species.
~Mark Twain

6. I've often thought, if I got really hungry for a good milk shake, how much would I pay for one? People will pay a hundred dollars for a bottle of wine; to me that's not worth it. But I'm not going to say it is foolish or wrong to spend that kind of money, if that's what you want. So if a guy wants to bet twenty or thirty thousand dollars in a poker game, that is his privilege.
~Jack Binion

5. You cannot survive without that intangible quality we call heart. The mark of a top player is not how much he wins when he is winning but how he handles his losses. If you win for thirty days in a row, that makes no difference if on the thirty-first you have a bad night, go crazy, and throw it all away.
~Bobby Baldwin

4. It's hard work. Gambling. Playing poker. Don't let anyone tell you different. Think about what it's like sitting at a poker table with people whose only goal is to cut your throat, take your money, and leave you out back talking to yourself about what went wrong inside. That probably sounds harsh. But that's the way it is at the poker table. If you don't believe me, then you're the lamb that's going off to the slaughter.
~Stu Ungar

3. It never hurts for potential opponents to think you’re more than a little stupid and can hardly count all the money in your hip pocket, much less hold on to it.
~Amarillo Slim

2. When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience.
~Anonymous

1. I never want to be called a 'good loser.' Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.
~Stu Ungar


Let me know what what you think and post some of your favorites if you want! Thanks for takin' the time to check out my list. Time for a 40 of King Cobra and some action on the virtual felt! Peace.

Read about Stu Ungar in Wikipedia!



, , , ,

1 comments:

Post a Comment